I Was Gonna See A Movie, But Then I Got…Sleep.

17 Aug

     Today, or yesterday because it’s now after 2am, I planned on having an all-day movie marathon. Not just any ordinary movie marathon where you stock up on candy and rent a few DVDs, but an in-theatre movie marathon. Yup, I was planning on shelling out just over $50 and attempt to see 5 movies in one day. On the bill would be The Goods, Paper Heart, The Time Traveler’s Wife, Julie & Julia, and Bandslam. Now, I have no doubt in my mind that this definitely could have been accomplished, but seeing that I went to bed at about 3:30am the night before, for no reason, I slept until noon and decided grabbing a burrito was more important than catching the first movie at 1:00pm. Hello obesity. Anyways, if completely ditching the movie marathon idea wasn’t enough, I sat around all day staring at the computer until my mom came home at about 4, and saved me from spontaneously morphing into mush and seeping into the cracks of the tile floor in my kitchen. It’s a good thing she came home when she did too, otherwise she’d have to mop me up…and she hates mopping when she’s already mopped. 

     After trying to convince me to give her a foot-rub, and forcing me to try on a pair of pants, my mom and I made our way to the mall, in two separate cars which is obviously the BEST way to save gas and money in this economy, hooray senseless Americans! No, but we took separate cars because I was headed over to my dad’s house after the mall for dinner, which is closer to the mall than my mom’s house, so don’t judge me, because you cannot judge me…I am unjudgeable…my new word. So we got to the mall, and went right into Bloomingdales, gotta love their valet parking service if you have a Bloomie’s charge account haha. When all was said and done, I ended up buying a pair of black flats, sunglasses, a t-shirt, some traffic light thing and I was about to purchase 3 small posters for my dorm, when my mom called me and said I had to rush to the valet station because it was closing at 6:30 and it was currently 6:30…so I power walked, because I WILL NOT run in a mall…that’s just not classy. Finally I arrived and got my car, but I REALLY wanted the posters because one of them was a Hannah Montana Movie poster, so obviously I needed it, and the vendor selling it would be gone after today. So I pulled my car around to the side, where it’s illegal to park, and clearly labeled so, and put my hazards on. My mom sat in her car behind mine as I ran into the mall for the posters. She told me to hurry up because she didn’t want my car being towed…no kidding. I was lightening fast in there, picked out the 3 posters, paid, and power walked out…I got SO good at that after today, it’s amazing what a shopping spree will do for your health! Once I got outside my mom told me security came and questioned my car being there, when my mom told the guard “she just ran into the mall to get her kid, she’ll be right out”. I’m glad my mom can think fast, but I’m also glad she had to make it sound like I had a kid and decided to leave him in the mall…good times. 

     Finally I left the mall. I arrived at my dad’s house, and was greeted by my adorable, freshly groomed fur-ball of a dog, Roxie. Apparently she was named after the character in Chicago, and I only say that because every now and then I’ll hear my dad or step-mom sing to her “the name on everybody’s lips is gonna be…ROXIE!” Yeah, that actually has happened, probably when she’s playing with her Chewy-Vuitton pocket book, or Jimmy Chew squeaky shoe. I kid you not, my dog has these toys, and yes, I bought them for her for Hanukkah. We sat, and chatted for a little bit, and by chatted I mean my dad was trying to watch the end of the PGA tournament while my step-mom tried to inquire where we should go for dinner. After the Asian guy beat Tiger Woods, and lifted his bag up over his head like 30 times, my dad turned off the TV and said “let’s go”. So, the three of us got into his car and headed over to the local sushi place for dinner. Upon arriving, my father spotted a man outside the restaurant whom he once worked with, so he said hello, and asked how he was. Now, my step-mom is convinced she knows EVERYONE and that they all know her too, so what happened wasn’t surprising, but what happened after that nearly made me pee myself. My step-mom looked at the guy my father said hello to, and apparently he looked familiar, so she said hello, gave him a hug and one of those kisses on the cheeks that older people do when their friends or whatever. She then proceeded to ask how his wife was doing because she had heard she had hip-replacement surgery. He said she’s doing well and then I just walked into the restaurant. As it turns out, my step-mom didn’t know that man, and that man had no idea who she was either. He just looked exactly like someone she actually knows…classic case of mistaken identity. What I find to be the best part though, is that he actually went along with it, which turns out to be because his ex-wife, or whatever, actually did have hip surgery, so he thought maybe he did know her, but just didn’t remember. Boy-oh-boy, what a great way to start a meal. Anyways, then we ate, and on the ride home argued about Ikea furniture, and how they picked up a couch from there once and it was terrible service, and didn’t fit in the car, and claimed they wasted hours of their life there…basically I got a headache. My dad never likes to let things go, so when we got back to the house he kept talking about it, which lead to my step-mom researching other cheap couches online for about an hour. Then I told my father I needed to interview him for a project, he said no…

     Apparently the last time I had to interview him(I sent him an email with a few questions I needed him to answer for a paper I was writing) it was too much work for him, and he didn’t want to go through that again. After some entertaining arguments, he said I could just write up questions for him, but then I informed him it needs to be a recorded, verbal interview…he did not like this. I continued to say “well if you want me to do well in school, I’ll need your help”, he then asked “oh, so it will be MY fault if you don’t do well?” I confirmed his notion, but he still decided to be difficult about it because he claimed he never had to face a challenge while trying to pursue a civil liberty. So of course this was turned into a joke as well. We were watching a television show called “Shark Tank” in which successful investors that just have too much money interview inventors and decide if they should invest in their products/services or not. My dad was trying to think of stuff he could present to the investors, or “the sharks”, on the show, and decided a good idea would be to sell cheap couches to people who go to college and have been challenged while trying to pursue civil liberties, and if they let me interview them, they receive $10 off the price of their couch…FML.

That’s normal behavior for my father…good times, but I still manage to love him.

That was my day…can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings…woop-dee-doo.


One Response to “I Was Gonna See A Movie, But Then I Got…Sleep.”

  1. Tanta Lisa August 17, 2009 at 4:54 pm #

    Loved reading your blogs
    think a career in television writing is perfect for you
    love u

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: